After months of cold and snow, the weather is thawing, the flowers are blooming and the residents of New York are ready to get out of their homes! The perfect cure for cabin fever? A good list of activities to do in your area! Read below to find the perfect thing to activity to fill your spring with fun.
Take a walk at Stewart Park - A fan favorite of locals, this park features waterfront views, playgrounds, and a beautiful carousel. It's truly a spot in Ithaca that all ages can enjoy together.
2. Learn something new at the Sciencecenter - Not just for kids, this science museum has all sorts of unique exhibits to engage families and get kids excited about learning. Whether it be learning about sea creatures at the touch tank or defying gravity with astronauts in their space exhibits, you're bound to have a good time at this exciting museum. And be sure to check out the events page often, you never know when they're going to host a cider and cheese late night event!
3. Host a garden party at New Park Event Venue and Suites - Nothing screams spring quite like a garden party filled with delicious food and friends, especially after a long winter. Gather your social bubble together for a day of fun and food at this charming enchanted forest. Dress up or keep it casual, how you want to spend the day ringing in spring is all up to you but don't worry about the hard stuff, their well trained staff will be around to assist you from start to finish.
4. Enjoy a craft beer at Liquid State Brewing Co. - Known for their chill vibe and excellent beer, this brewery is a great gathering spot for friends whether it be after work or on a weekend. The brewery offers the unique opportunity to sit down and enjoy a cold one while watching how it's made through their giant windows peaking into the actual brewery.
5. Show off your green thumb by gardening - I don't have a green thumb but that hasn't stopped me from starting my own garden! In my opinion, there's nothing more rewarding than eating a salad that you grew yourself. Not sure where to start or don't have the room for a garden? Not a problem! The Ithaca Community Garden is always looking for help. With options to have your own plot or to help out in the communal plot, there's lots of ways to dig in (literally)!
6. Treat yourself with a visit to a winery - It's no secret that the finger lakes is the East Coasts very own wine country! With over 100 wineries, cideries, and distilleries there's always an event or new wine to check out. Some of my personal favorites are the Thirsty Owl, Hosmer Winery, and Americana Vineyards.
7. Get a birds eye view with a hot air balloon adventure - Enjoy spectacular views of the lake and countryside from the comfort of a hot air balloon. Often seen in the sky during spring and summer, these beautiful balloons provide the perfect opportunity to enjoy a sunrise or sunset with friends and family.
8. Try delicious fresh produce at the Ithaca Farmer's Market - A community staple, this farmers market is popular in the lakes region for its amazing food, stunning location (lakeside), and wonderful vendors. There's always something new to see and is a popular brunch spot for many on the weekend. Be sure to go early to get the best produce!
9. Learn about wildlife at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology - Opening doors to the natural world for all ages, this unique building offers the ability to learn indoors and out! The lab offers opportunities for bird watching and learning or get out on the trails around the property for chances to see woodpeckers, birds or prey and more.
10. Go for a hike at one of the many state parks - While hiking and the Finger Lakes may not be your first thought, we have some of the most beautiful state parks in the state! There's a reason the saying "Ithaca is gorges" exists and it's because of all of our beautiful waterfalls! Some of my favorite parks include: Robert H. Treman State Park, Buttermilk Falls State Park, Taughannock Falls State Park, and Watkins Glen State Park.
Sarah Arleo is a 25 year old blogger and tiktoker based in the Finger Lakes. She enjoys hiking and camping with her husband and can often be found writing for her blog Field Guide To Marrying Young or running around state parks filming for her TikTok channel @SarahintheSunshine.